June 25, 2009

I Really Needed That

So, I finally did it. I've been saying for months how how I was going to do it, and yesterday I did. I couldn't be happier about it. I really think it was the best decision I've made in a long time.

I took a day off.

In the middle of the week.

I just miracled myself a nice long stretch of isolated beach, complete with a striped beach umbrella and a fruity drink, laid back in the nice warm sand and listened to Huey Lewis & The News' Greatest Hits on loop.

And the Universe didn't collapse in on itself or ANYTHING. Well, okay, there were a couple of little minor things that happened, but really I'm pretty pleased with how it all turned out. It's silly of me, I know, to worry about what will happen if I take a day off. I mean, I've created a well-oiled machine around here. Why, I took off most of the 16th Century; things are a bit more complicated now, so I probably couldn't disappear for decades at a time like I did then, but I bet everything would keep working for at least a couple of months. I'm just a bit of a control freak, so it's hard for me to admit that the Universe doesn't need me every second of every day.

Plus, I obviously know nothing will happen. But there's still that tiny part of me that wonders, "What if?"

But having a day off was a great way to recharge my batteries, destress a little bit. I'm really glad I did it. But now I'm back to workin' for a livin', livin' and a-workin'. I'm takin' what they're givin' 'cause I'm workin' for a livin'!

5 comments:

kenna said...

You take ONE day off then Michael Jackson DIES.

No bueno God, no bueno.

Ryan said...

YOU TAKE ONE DAY OFF AND TWO CELEBRITIES DIE.

Just imagine if you took an entire WEEK off. Every single one of the Jonas Brothers would die.

katdish said...

Been missing you on the twitter! You didn't even make my Friday update. Bummer...

kenna said...

Hmmm, in that case Ryan, maybe he SHOULD take a week off...

Shirl said...

just like a government worker, doesn't really matter if you're back at work now...does it?